Access the Data
OHE Health Statistics and Information (OHESI) is exceptional in the extent to which it collects and collates data from a wide range of public and private sources. We incorporate a wealth of historical data spanning up to 50 years.
Information and comparisons are provided at both UK and constituent-country level, where appropriate data are available. Selected international data also are included. Time series data reach as far back as 1949 in some cases, the first full year of the UK National Health Service.
- The data cover demographics, health care expenditure, major causes of death and major illnesses.
- UK data are further broken down for England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
- International comparative data are presented for health care expenditures and other selected key information.
- Data that trace trends in both private and public health care expenditure are included.
- Analysis and trends in NHS costs and expenditure include data on the cost of the NHS as a percent of GDP and UK Government expenditure plans, past and present.
OHE Health Statistics and Information comprises four main sections
|Summary of UK demographic statistics, including the mortality and morbidity experience of the population. Comparisons are made with other European Union and OECD countries.|
|NHS and private health care expenditure and comparisons with experience internationally; the cost of the Family Health Services (FSH) and the latest NHS reference costs.|
Hospital and Workforce
|Detailed account of NHS hospital activity, bed capacity, staffing and waiting times.|
|Detailed coverage of the activities of the NHS Family Health Services -- general medical, pharmaceutical, dental and ophthalmic; including the NHS medicines bill.|